Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Baking Day...45º

After feeding for three days, the sourdough start is bubbling away on the counter, ready to be added to bread flour, salt and water and made into enough loaves to freeze for the coming weeks...Herb eats at least one slice of bread everyday and some days more, never tiring of the homemade bread.

Home made bread was a staple on our table, when I was growing up...Toast, bread and butter, biscuits or warm dinner rolls was put out for every meal, along with homemade butter and jam...We also had bread and milk for supper and sometimes bread covered with thick cream, sprinkled with sugar for a dessert or a snack...We didn't know about "carbs" and didn't care, we only knew that we needed good substantial food in our bellies from one meal to the next.

I learned to make bread as a young bride, wearing out the "bread page" of my "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook, as each week I measured and sifted flour, added salt, sugar and water, stirred, mixed and kneaded hoping that the two loaves would raise and be enough for sandwiches for a weeks worth of lunches for Herb...God forbid he would have to take store bought bread in his lunch...After weeks, months, maybe even years, this ceased to be a chore and I began to enjoy making bread.

Today is bread baking day, time for me to get dressed, start mixing (no cookbook needed) and by afternoon our house will have the aroma, to make your mouth water, of bread just out of the oven...A smell that reminds me of our farm house in Lake Fork, Idaho as I arrived home from school and that wonderful smell met me at the door...Not sure what else we are having for dinner today, might just be good ol' "Carbs."..Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Look close for the family of quail.



No comments:

Post a Comment