Sunday, July 2, 2017

Downpour...52º

Yesterdays temperature was moderate, making good weather to clean out flowerbeds and garden...As usual some things haven't done well in the garden...The row of turnips made a big show but were mostly tops and very small bottoms, I think turnip greens are edible but they have never been on our table...I pulled all of them and we happily munched away on the little white globes, along with our lettuce leaves and radishes...The brussel sprouts seem to be all leaves and no sprouts, so they might get pulled up as well...I will chop all of them and put in the compost pile, putting them to good use!..Now I know why year after year I plant lots of garlic, it has yet to disappoint us, always puts out a good crop and is easily shared with friends and family while it is fresh and after it has been dried...We have a good crop of onions this year, the peas, beans and cabbages are coming along nicely...Potatoes are pushing through the straw and the cherry tomatoes and cucumbers are slow but growing....Raspberries are blooming and forming berries and after two years of succumbing to the crown borer, I have my fingers crossed that they are going to bear fruit...I'm still a bit skeptical as I saw yellowed leaves starting to show up yesterday...I will be soooooo disappointed.

Pam stopped for a visit after her morning hike and we enjoyed beer and tomato juice, stirred with a celery stock, while sitting on the deck...It was my first beer in over two months, as I follow a "NEW" eating plan on my journey to improve my health...(More about this on another day.)

We had a late evening thunder, lightning, pounding rain storm...Thankfully no wind and the rain will really help our pasture and garden much more than all the irrigating we do...Only bad thing is the local farmers have hay down, waiting to be baled.

Pat text us about 9pm last night, with the news that instead of being in Lewiston for the night on their way to Joseph, they are stuck overnight in Salt Lake City, as they missed their connecting flight because of the storms, so they won't arrive in Joseph until Monday...Darn!..Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Front porch planters

Cozy seating on front porch

Front porch at a distance

Some of the back deck flowers

1 comment:

  1. I thought brussel sprouts were more of a late fall crop? I know you have a short growing season but that might be why they are all leaf right now. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete