Monday, July 24, 2017

Garden Harvest...57º

Knowing that the temperature was going to be in the 90's yesterday, I was out early in the morning, tending to the vegetable garden...Peas and broccoli were ready for picking, a nice sized zucchini magically appeared, a couple of mini patty pans and beets with abundant greens also said, "Pick me." I love this time of year, when we can eat from the garden...Both the tomato plants and cucumber vines have tiny green fruit...The pole beans are blooming, cabbages are making heads and the Brussel sprouts are forming little nubbins along the stock.

Ready to eat.

Dill is ready to make pickles.

Last Wednesday was our day to harvest garlic, what a fun and rewarding job that is...I loosened the garlic with the potato fork, trying not to slice into the cloves, pulled them from the ground and cleaned off as much dirt as possible...Herb picked up bundles of 10 and hung them in the lean-to, where they will dry for about a month, before I clean them and cut the stems off, so we can share them with family and friends, either fresh or after we dry and powder the cloves.

Music garlic, the heads are about 
3 inches across.

Herb finishes hanging the 150 plants.

A lovely sight.

I always think of my Mom when we harvest the garlic...The garlic she grew is still in my garden and has been in the family for about 40 years...It is called "Gramma's Garlic." It has multiple cloves, tinged with purple, large and small mixed, a good sized head is about 2" across...I use it in dill pickles, because I like the contrast of the purple and green in the jars...The Music garlic is relatively new, given to me by a neighbor about 3 years ago...Mom would have loved this garlic because of the large bulbs that it produces...Remembering her, she loved gardening...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

1 comment: