Sunday, July 14, 2019

In Memory...

The first words that come to my mind this morning are, "I lost a dear friend last week."...Margaret Botts and I go back some 40 years, when she hired me to fill in at the Joseph Schools, lunch room...So first she was my boss, then my mentor, and lastly but most important, we became friends...One of the most important things she taught me was to always look for the good in people, pick up on their strengths, not their weaknesses...That would stand me in good stead for the years to come.

I arrived for my first day of work, wondering what I had gotten myself into...I was in awe, as I entered the kitchen, huge pots sat on the shelves, massive cake pans and cookie sheets caught my eye, an extra large cooking pot sat in the middle of the room...I had never cooked a meal for more than 10 people in my life and here I had signed up to make birthday cake for over 300 people...I almost walked right back out the door.

Margaret immediately introduced me to the rest of the staff, Monet and Joanne, the atmosphere was light hearted and friendly and the kitchen was spotless...She showed me the mixer (30 quart floor model) that I would be using and handed me a well worn, hand written recipe, labeled "Chocolate Cake,"...I noticed at the bottom of the card, it said, Make Twice!..Margaret was a very perceptive person and picked up on the fact that I was about ready to bolt and she said, "No worries, Idella, we will all help you, it is a simple recipe and hasn't failed us yet, just remember take it one step at a time and ask for help when you need it."

Over the next 2 years, I was on call, to fill in when someone was sick and once a month to make birthday cake...Margaret made suggestions about how I could do something different, encouraged me when I got discouraged, but never found fault, never raised her voice and worked right along with the staff, more as a coworker, than a boss...That was my introduction to Margaret.

Over the years I learned that in a short span of time, she had lost a daughter to asthma, her husband died of a sudden heart attack, leaving her alone to raise their youngest son, age 10, 3 other children were older and on their own...Most of this info came from other people, not from Margaret, she didn't complain, kept a positive outlook and made the best of each day...She was a strong, determined lady, with a wonderful sense of humor and compassion for all people...To be continued...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

Margaret at her 90th birthday party.






No comments:

Post a Comment