Tuesday, February 9, 2021

A smattering of snow, baking bread…18º

Yesterday was the kind of day for baking bread…I used sourdough instead of yeast but wanted a softer, richer bread, so I added bacon grease, and molasses to the mix of flour, whole wheat, quinoa, and ground hemp seed…I mixed and kneaded by hand, off and on most of the day…The dough was okay but never got a really good stretchy feel…I made a few hamburger buns, and experimented making sausage wraps with a few little smokies and made the rest into loaves for morning toast and sandwiches…The buns and wraps, cooked on the top shelf in the oven turned out great, but the loaves on the bottom rack at normal time and temperature, are crusty and over done and didn’t get much oven spring.

So I’m thinking the dough wasn’t quite right plus my new oven element is much hotter than the one it replaced…I will have to do some tweeking to temperatures on recipes in the future, so that everything doesn’t overcook…The bread is definitely edible and won’t go to waste, but certainly not up to par…Hugs To All…OWAV:)






No comments:

Post a Comment