Sunday, April 23, 2017

Spring Rain...38º

After two sunny spring days, this morning brings rain and cooler temperatures for the week...I spent the last two days trimming bushes, picking up winter detritus, digging a few dandelions, but mostly just wandering around the yard, wondering how I became so lucky to live in this awesome place...Today I must concentrate on neglected inside chores.

Our first real flush of spring blooms is now in progress, most of the daffodils are in full bloom and even though I prefer the sun, the blooms will last longer with cooler temperatures...Glory of the snow, Grecian wind flowers are fading and grape hyacinths are opening up to take their place...A Manchurian bush apricot is the first tree about to burst into bloom, followed by apricot, apple and plum trees, as well as the lilacs...The next ground covers will be forget me knots, sedums of all kinds and fern leaf bleeding heart...May will bring irises, alliums, columbine, lavender and on into summer with peonies, day lilies, rudbeckia, bee balm, fading into fall, as the colors change from blue, pink, yellow and reds to yellow and orange of fall flowers, such as black eyed susan's, golden glow, gloriosa daisy and autumn joy to name a few...Each day brings something new to behold.

In case you are wondering, the three turkey are now in jars, on the cellar shelves, done for another year...It won't be long before pickling season and tomatoes roasting in the oven...I could think of this as endless drudgery but instead it inspires me to get up each morning and be thankful that Herb and I are able to keep doing what we do!..Hugs To All...OWAV:)

More beautiful in real life

Jars waiting for turkey

My Mom's pressure cooker purchased in the 30's

2 comments:

  1. Love your words and that old canner is awesome. Amazing how well built the old pots are. I have my mother's though it is newer than this one. It does not have all of those screw downs🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words...That old canner just keep plugging away, we put a new gauge on it about every 5 years and I even have replacement parts for the screw downs...Can't even imagine how many jars it has processed.

      Delete