Monday, March 26, 2018

Long Weekend...25º

Saturday brought early morning storms, internet problems, an empty house...The quiet always seems good but then becomes overwhelming as Herb and I settle back into our routine...The "Girls," had sheets off their beds, the car loaded, sewing stuff all put away, breakfast eaten and on the road by 9am...Cienna took the departing "selfie" as the sun peaked out, cold wind blew and snow flakes swirled around our heads...We didn't worry too much about getting the photo just right and soon they were pulling out of the driveway, 6/7 hours on the road to reach home in Portland...Herb did some laundry, I rearranged the fridge, trying to decide which leftovers to keep and what to throw...Reuben sandwiches were on the dinner menu...Internet back on but didn't want to connect, so I put a call in to Apple and they resolved our problem...Hard to believe how much our life revolves around the Internet, as we read books, peruse facebook, google stuff and play games.

March 2018

Sunday was another sunny but cold day, Herb worked on the weeks laundry and I played in the kitchen...Have been wanting to try my hand at tamales for some time now, so seemed like the perfect opportunity...I had researched on the Internet, picked Bobi's brain about how she did it...Assembling all the ingredients and prepping was the most time consuming (until I got to the steaming part) and the assembly was messy!..I put the first two in a small pan, steamed them for an hour, for Herb and I to try...They tasted good so I finished up with more for us to eat and a dozen in the big pan, steaming away for future meals...I only made half of the batch of corn masa dough and two flavors of tamales, (some turkey and a few mushroom and cheese...I will do a full batch next time, now that I know a bit about the project...I used parchment paper to roll them in and twisted both ends, so not your typical tamale, but covered with homemade salsa, topped with sour cream, they made a good dinner...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Turkey/cheese/cilantro/spices
ready to roll.

Ready for the steamer.

Steamed and ready to eat.

Unwrapped, covered with salsa and sour cream,
they were very tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Tamales look good enough to eat! oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make more mushrooms/cheese next time, you and Ci were right, they were very tasty...All were much better than any store bought that we have tried....Love You

    ReplyDelete