Saturday, April 21, 2018

Forecast Right On...39º

We are celebrating spring days in Joseph this weekend and into next week...I don't think beyond that, it is best to revel in each precious day...Yesterday found both Herb and I in the garden rearranging straw, now that doesn't sound very exciting, but the sun was shining, we were both up and moving, that makes for a good day...Straw is important to our garden because it smothers the weeds, mulches new growth and aerates the soil...What more could one ask for.

The garlic is about 8" tall and needs to be side dressed with manure, the grape vine needs to be pruned, the bed for potatoes needs more layers of rotting leaves, straw, alfalfa pellets and manure...It is not too early to plant onion sets (waiting patiently in a paper bag) maybe today.

Yesterday I left Herb, still working, while I joined Virginia for my last volunteer day at the "food alliance." It has been fun working with her and facilitating this program, that gives food to people of all incomes and walks of life...Food that otherwise would be sent to the dumpster...The people that come, wait patiently in line, thank us profusely for the food and we try to explain that we only give a little of our time to make it possible and invite them back every Monday and Friday.

Back home we had dinner, then feeling rejuvenated and wanting to feel the sun on my face, the dirt in my hands, I headed outside...Two years ago I ordered hybrid poppies, (plum, deep red, maroon, rosy pink and orange/white)...They grew and bloomed (all orange), I complained to the company and this spring they send replacements...It will be another year before I know if I have colored poppies or orange poppies but whatever color, so far the deer don't seem to like them!..Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS, Daffies are blooming everywhere.





No comments:

Post a Comment