Friday, July 27, 2018

All in a Weeks Work...58º

About a month ago, Becky brought up the subject of Chief Joseph Days and her role as District Attorney in providing a "hospitality room" for all of the "law enforcement officers," that would be putting in long hours keeping our small town safe and sane...The usual fare has been a hot/cold sandwiches, salads, desserts buffet, that is set out for a few hours late afternoon, before the officers start their evening patrol...Since she is the only DA on staff (still advertising for an Assistant DA) her staff has stepped up to help her and she asked if I would make "fold over rolls," (she loves my rolls) for possibly one or two meals, of the four days of CJD's.

Wow, what an opportunity, anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis knows that I have a love affair with dough...I could play in the dough for one, two, even four days if I wanted to get really crazy...After some discussion we settled on three days, (Becky asking, "Are you sure?")..."Piece of cake," I said...Of course without asking, I knew Herb would come along for the ride, to fetch and carry as I would need, multiple items from the basement each day, (up and down stairs is in his exercise program) and help in the delivery.

We are on day three, with just a few minor blips...Day one I miscalculated the flour and ended up with a huge wad of dough that my mixer refused to knead..."Damn!" I started over, the 2nd batch of rolls were kneaded, baked, packaged and ready to go on time...Day two, I was up early, started water outside, thinned the apple tree again and started the rolls with plenty of time...Got my flour ratio correct, machine did the kneading, all was well...But the dough didn't want to raise/rise...Finally I was able to get the dough rolled out, cut and in the pans, then resorted to putting then outside in the sun (covered) to raise enough to bake...Out of the oven I had to get them cooled, ice packs and fans helped with this process and we easily made the 3pm cut off.

It is 6am Friday morning, last day to play in the dough...The apple tree needs more thinning, do I dare?..Maybe I will mix the dough and leave it to raise, while I thin the apples...That should work...Come back tomorrow, oops, NO, I'm going picking huckleberries tomorrow, come back on Sunday to find out if the rolls get delivered...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Dough rolled out, buttered and cut (pizza cutter)
into roughly 2 X 4 inches.

Folded over, don't have to be perfect.


Golden brown, just right for sliders, pulled pork,
or whatever you want to put in them.





No comments:

Post a Comment