Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Another Slippery Slope...11º

We celebrated a quiet Christmas Day, Pam joined us for a simple dinner of prime rib, baked potatoes and brussel sprouts, followed by chocolate mints for dessert... (Our family was in Joseph 2 weeks ago and we had our Family Christmas then.) Earlier in the afternoon Pam and I played cards, sipped a new bottle of wine (Pinot noir, gifted to me by a friend, it was very good) and snacked on a new treat of "baked brie with huckleberries and pecans."...A peaceful day to reflect on the past year and count ones blessings.

The four days preceding Christmas had been anything but peaceful...I caution you again, I write because it is therapeutic for me and not because I look for sympathy...Thursday night was a sleepless night for Herb, he was up and down all night, heartburn, bad stomach pain, nauseous...I slept through it all!...Friday morning, he felt good enough to sweep snow from the sidewalks and steps, we had breakfast and he took a nap in his recliner.

By noon he still wasn't feeling very good, but said no to trying to see a doctor...Things kind of happened fast after that, he was nauseous, cold, then hot, then shivering uncontrollably...I put heat packs on him and said, "Lets go to the ER." I got his shoes on him and then tried to get a coat on him, but he didn't seem to have any strength...I figured out pretty fast that I wasn't going to be able to get him out of the house and into the car...I dialed 911 and said I think my husband might be having a heart attack...A sheriff's deputy was here in a matter of minutes and the ambulance soon to follow...While they got Herb loaded into the ambulance, I packed a suitcase of sorts, I knew if it was a heart attack, we would be headed out of the county in a few hours.

Fast forward, 3 hours in the ER, ex rays, cat scan, EKG, the whole nine yards...Results...No, it was not a heart attack, maybe a gall bladder attack and possible passage of a gall stone, hence the severe stomach pain...A second cat scan was ordered because of a small "brain bleed" seen on the first one...This was a surprise to the doctor and they questioned us extensively about a possible fall or even sever vomiting, that could have caused it...A third scan was scheduled for Saturday, which meant a night in the hospital for observation...Herb left the hospital late Saturday afternoon, the 3rd scan showed no change...He will go for a follow up exam and probably an MRI in the near future...Maybe we will find answers, maybe not.

Meanwhile he is home, each day shows improvement in his balance and thought process and we are weathering this slippery slope, mistakenly called the "Golden Years."..Actually we have enjoyed many good years and look forward to the new year, with a hopeful outlook...One never knows, what tomorrow will bring, no matter what age you are!..Hugs To All...OWAV:)




No comments:

Post a Comment