Tuesday, February 6, 2024

More stories of the Lake Fork Years... 29º Maybe sun or snow?

 I'm not sure of the dates of this occasion, but think it was summer 1955...My sister Loraine and her husband Steve were finally going to get their dream home...A house with acreage in Porterville, Utah where Loraine had spent her teenage years and Steve was born and raised...When Loraine signed the papers Loraine Ashton Smith, someone in the deal, said that it wasn't legal and she would have to sign it Loraine Fields Smith...She wasn't about to do that!!

It all stemmed from the fact that Daddy had never legally adopted Loraine and Barbara...They had always used his name and he had always intended to but when he had time, he didn't have the money...Now when push came to shove, he found both time and money and plans were made for all "parties" to be in Lake Fork to go before the judge, (in Cascade, Idaho, the county seat) on a certain date to legally make the "girls" his very own.

Steve, Loraine and family came from Utah...Barbara and her son Alan, came from Spokane, (husband Jim couldn't leave his job) for the big event...Mona and I were the appointed baby sitters for eight children, 7 Smith kids and 1 Stephens boy...Sad to say I really don't remember anything about this day, and if there wasn't a photo, I probably wouldn't be writing this story...I do know it was a happy day for all involved...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

I have only this photo, not one of Barbara and Alan.

top, Steve, Blanchie, Loraine
2nd Stephanie, George
3rd Vickie, Mona Jody, Melvin

A side story here is about the blue formal I was wearing in the prom photo in a previous blog...My sister Barbara brought it from Spokane because she knew that I had a "formal dance," in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment