Friday, February 9, 2024

 The Park Motel where she worked was family owned and in April of 1956 the owner’s son was home on a months leave from the navy. His name was Jerry and he thought this petite “maid” was extremely cute and not noticing the diamond on her left hand or maybe he did but didn’t let it stop him, asked if she would go to the movie with him. She immediately said “No, I’m engaged to be married”, thinking that would be the end of it. But the next day and the next he persisted, she kept saying no. She related these stories as well as a description of Jerry to us as we sat around the table at supper one night.

“This Jerry guy is a real dork, he wears glasses that are as thick as coke bottles, is pigeon toed and has really big teeth. Everywhere I go he is just around the corner and keeps insisting that I should go out with him. Just one date he keeps saying.” 

After 3 days of this constant diatribe Mona came home and said, “I told the dork that I would go to the movie with him tonight, maybe that will shut him up and he will leave me alone.” That one date led to another and then much to everyone’s surprise, Mona told Mom that she had invited Jerry to have supper with us. We all wondered why? Introductions were made and conversation around the table flowed smoothly as we ate our usual supper of “bread and milk” and leftovers. We finished eating; Daddy lit a cigarette and leaned back in his chair. My brother George and I excused ourselves and started toward the living room and the TV set. Mona and Jerry stood up and moved nearer to Daddies chair and said, “We have something to talk to you and Mom about.” Moments later George and I heard a loud bang as Daddies fist hit the kitchen table followed by the clattering of dishes as they settled back into place and Daddies voice boomed, “Jesus H. Christ, what do you mean you want to get married? You’ve only known each other for a week, hell no you can’t get married?” 

“But Daddy.” 

“No buts about it young lady, I said no.” 

“Daddy I will run away and get married, I’m almost 19 and you can’t stop me. Jerry has to report back to his base two weeks from now and I’m going to be his wife when he leaves. We want your blessing.”

“Holy ole’ bald headed Christ, what has gotten into you child, you are engaged to another man and now after only one week you think you are in love and want to marry this man. Can we talk about this tomorrow after your mother and I have a few hours to think and you have time to come to your senses?”

“Okay Daddy, whatever you want, but my mind is made up!”

After what must have been a sleepless night, Mom and Daddy accepted what they couldn’t change and watched as Mona wrote her “Dear John Letter” to Bob, carefully packaged the diamond ring and mailed it at the post office.

A whirlwind of activity enveloped the ranch as Mona forged ahead with her plans to marry and move to Boston. After only a week’s preparation, Mona dressed in one of her prom formals and Jerry in his Navy uniform repeated their vows in the living room of our Long Valley ranch with family and friends as witnesses, a Justice of the Peace officiated and Jerry slipped a borrowed wedding band on Mona’s finger. After the reception they left in a cloud of dust, beer and pop cans clanging and banging behind the car, for a three-day honeymoon before Jerry reported to his base in Boston, Massachusetts.

Mona spent the next week sorting and packing her clothes into two large trunks before boarding a train in Boise, Idaho. She said to me recently, “Della I prayed the entire time, on the train, that Jerry would be at the station waiting for me as with time to think, I realized the enormity of my decision.” Our Dad still had doubts about her decision and they soon became worries when several weeks passed without a letter from Mona. Finally after many special trips to the post office Daddy came home smiling, handed an envelope to Mom and said, “She is okay.” Hugs to All...OWAV:)

 

I will end this story here, but want to say that Mona and I left the sibling rivalry of our younger years and had a loving relationship as adults...Herb and I vacationed with Mona and Jerry many times and Mona and I took care of Mom in her final days.






Back row, Mom, Dad,
Jerry's Dad, Frank and Stepmom, Joyce
Mona and Jerry


No comments:

Post a Comment