Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Friend Bud...45º

As I wrote about the Grizzly Bear Fire yesterday, another fire had been reported only a short distance from Joseph...Falls Creek Fire in the Hurricane Creek drainage was spotted early Saturday morning...The latest reports are that it was given high prioity and has been doused with water from high lakes...Two helicopters worked throughout the day...The Grizzly Bear fire has burned over 60,000 acres...No updates yet this morning...Our valley is still filled with smoke...But we count our blessings.

Yesterday Herb and I along with over 300 people (my estimation) crowded into the thunder room to celebrate the life of Bud Botts...Bud grew up in Wallowa County, worked at the Joseph Schools for nearly 30 years, was a mentor and a friend to kids in 4-H and FFA, as well as many others that he took under his wing, teaching them to ride, rope and work...He had friends in the county from all walks of life, he was a friend to all, a stranger to few...He was a cowboy, a rancher, a man of many talents...His priority was family...He loved kids, animals and most people.

I worked with Bud at Joseph Schools for 17 years, I counted him as a good friend...Kind, steady, quick to find the humor in most situations...You never had to wonder where you stood with him, he told it like it was, no pretense, no bull...We haven't seen much of each other the past 20 years but when we met over lunch or on the street I always got a big smile, a bear hug and his greeting of, "How you doin', Stella?" That nickname was his for me and it always made me laugh as we shared the private joke...I will miss his smile, his laugh and his bear hug...I will miss this friend.

My heart goes out to his family who are struggling to fill the void, following his death...Their lives have changed forever, but Bud leaves then with a legacy, to remember and take pride in...They will never forget his smile, his laugh and his arms surrounding them...Hugs to the Botts Family...OWAV:)

Thinking, one year ago at Margaret's
90th birthday party.


A Grin

The full blown Laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment