Saturday, March 11, 2017

Sunny/Warm...51º

A lovely day yesterday for just about anything...I had baking on my mind, wanting to make a good loaf of bread for our dinner club, scheduled for tonight, (it has been rescheduled to next week, due to illness)...Our theme was 50's/60's comfort food...My first thought was to do dinner rolls, but then decided to go with something more wholesome and nutritious...Anadama bread came to mind, it was my Father-in-law's favorite...I have a recipe, but true to form, I just put some bread flour in my big Tupperware bowl, added whole wheat flour and corn meal, made a well and added sourdough starter, water, yeast, molasses, butter and salt...Wanting still more grains, I added Bulgar (soaked overnight), flax meal and rolled oats...This was a small batch so I mixed and then kneaded by hand, adding more bread flour to made a very stiff dough...I let it raise 3 times, punched it down and kneaded more...It was elastic, yet soft and puffy.

As dinner time grew near and nothing was cooking, no leftovers, fridge was bare, I shaped a pizza crust from some of the dough and while I had all the pizza stuff out I tried some pizza rolls (idea from Bobi)...Then since I had plenty of dough left after making a 2 pound loaf for dinner club (now in the freezer), I patted the last pound of dough into a rectangle, spread it with soft butter, sprinkled it with raisins, craisins, walnuts and cinnamon/sugar, rolled it into a loaf for breakfast toast...while all of this was in its final "rise" I wandered outside without a coat!...A few crocus are blooming, daffodils and poppies are sprouted and the garlic is pushing its way through 6 inches of straw mulch.

It was a glorious, productive day and today is also starting out with sunshine, blue skies and the promise of temps in the 50's, not a snowflake in the forecast and oatmeal and cinnamon toast is on the menu for breakfast...Hugs To All...OWAV:)






No comments:

Post a Comment