Friday, January 31, 2020

Homemade Pizza...35º

For someone who has made as much "dough" as I have over the years, why does pizza crust give me fits?..I've looked at many recipes on line, Utube videos and asked friends for their favorite recipe and as near as I can tell it is pretty basic...Flour (either bread or all purpose), water, salt, oil and yeast...Some make a quick dough and others rest the dough in the fridge overnight and the best pizza crust I've ever eaten was made with sourdough...The frozen pizza I like best has the rising crust, when I try that, at home, it doesn't get cooked and does not puff up like I want...Could be I pile too much stuff on it or I don't get it rolled thin enough...So last week, I resorted to making a quick crust, rolling it very thin and prebaking it for 5 minutes, then added the toppings...It was okay but not drop dead, best pizza ever!..My kids would say, "Mom you need more practice!"

My niece and husband came for an overnight visit last fall and talked about the pizza oven they built in their back yard and the pizza parties they host for family and friends...They are talking a bunch of pizzas...Blanche makes and shapes the dough, adds the toppings and Chris bakes, sometimes as many as 30 pizzas...They talked about an unusual pizza, that people love...A crust is covered with thin layer of whipping cream, add slices of lemon (use a mandoline) and bake, that's it!..I want to try this pizza, but I think I must practice more, will it be once a week, try using my sourdough, prebake or raw dough and different toppings, I really like chicken/garlic/artichoke with Alfredo sauce but Blanche said, "Just use whipping cream, its much better." I wonder, 'do I use parmesan cheese on this?'...Enough of my blathering, Hugs to All...OWAV:)

Before I prebaked.

15 minutes in the oven

pizza and salad for dinner

Leftover dough made into a loaf.
in the freezer for garlic bread
or a submarine sandwich on 
another day.

1 comment: