Friday, January 5, 2024

First Things First...Dusting of snow, 27º

Yesterday morning I received the news, from Oklahoma, that after a long illness, my sister Barbara (Bobbie), age 94 had passed away...She is the sister, who brought light into a room when she entered, her laughter was contagious, her smile quick and broad, her compassion and love for all people, "except the ones that were dumber than a box of rocks," was evident in everything she did...She was generous and kind, a garden extraordinaire, a southern cook like no other, always helping, nurturing, teaching those around her, be they friends, neighbors, family or co-workers.

In spring, summer and fall, she could be found working in her gardens...She shared plants, gave bouquets and also shared the bountiful harvest from the vegetable garden, as well as the vast knowledge she had on tending and growing everything edible and or beautiful...In winter her hands were kept busy sewing, with needles of all kinds...She made quilts, afghans, and did cross stitch etc, for as long as her eyes would let her...All of these hand made items were given away.

I found out in my mid 40's why I had a closer bond to her than to my other sisters, when on a visit to Oklahoma she shared with me, that when I was born our mother was not well, and had the rest of the family to care for...Bobbie, at age 13, soon fell into the "job" of taking care of me, the new baby...I became her baby for 4 years, then she married and had a baby of her own...I was not happy about this situation at all and tried to get her to send Alan back to the hospital, she was my "Mama," not his...It eventually worked itself out and I had my first hard lesson on learning to share.

Over the years, we were always separated by hundreds of miles, but the bond was always there and our visits only renewed it...Rest in peace my dear sister...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS...Herb and I had several wonderful visits with Bobbie and Jim at their home on a lake in Oklahoma.

Bobbie in her gardens.
Me, Bobbie and Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment