Thursday, January 25, 2024

Trusting Billy Ball....29º snow and rain overnight, sunshine today?


“I took a deep breath and said,  ‘Joe, I think we have to do what Billy says. The company has been stringing you along for many months now and I think Billy is telling us the truth.’  Billy breathed a sigh of relief and thanked me. Then he looked at Daddy and said, please listen to your wife. Don’t you see?  I had to come here tonight, because you are a good man and a hard worker and I can’t let the company do this to you and your family.’”  

 “Your Dad looked at me and then at Billy, and then said. ‘You must be telling me the truth to risk your own job. Okay I will do as you say, when I meet with the company officials tomorrow.’” 

 

Mom exhaled a long breath. I wondered how long it had been since she’d told that story.


“What happened next?” I asked.

“Billy stood, shook hands with both of us, and left by the back door. Your dad and I watched from the window and he was quickly swallowed up in the darkness.” 

 

 “We didn’t sleep much the rest of the night and were very unsure of what would happen at the meeting, but your Dad didn’t sign any papers or pick up a rake the next day at the meeting, and after the meeting, we hired a lawyer to advise us further. We did get a settlement from the mining company eventually and we were always so thankful to Billy Ball, a man who dared to speak out. to be continued. Hugs to All...OWAV:)



No comments:

Post a Comment