Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Dishwasher Duty...21º

I started my new job, assistant cook/baker at Joseph School Cafeteria, late August 1977...I had been a substitute for two years, so kind of knew what I was getting into...I was responsible daily for making bread, rolls and/or dessert for lunch...The campus was closed, kids could bring sack lunches from home, but most kids and adults ate at the cafeteria, approximately 300 lunches were served daily...Margaret was head cook, fixing the main dish, ordering all supplies and making menus...Joanne was responsible for salads, veggies and fruit...Our day started at 7am with the first kids showing up at 11am ready to eat...We finished serving at 12:15pm, cleaned up, had our lunch at about 1pm, finished cleanup, our day ended at 2pm.

Joanne and I traded off weekly, either working the big sinks, washing by hand, enormous pots and pans or washing trays in the dishwasher...My turn on the dishwasher started the second week and I was sure it would never end...Alfred (janitor/bus driver) helped by scraping and stacking the trays...I remember his comment on that first day, as the trays stacked up higher and higher, he said, with a sly grin, "You are getting a little behind in your work." I glared at him over the stack of trays and kept spraying and running trays through the machine...In between washing trays, I also had to sort silverware into plastic cups to be washed last...It went something like this, spray trays, stack in rack, open dishwasher door, shove tray rack inside, shut door, hit start button, sort silverware, repeat!..Also I had to keep moving and stacking the clean trays as they came out steaming hot from the dishwasher...Alfred's grin grew wider as my glare turned to grimace and he handed me the last tray and said, "Is this the one you were looking for?"...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment