Saturday, February 13, 2016

Reading Binge...30º

The last couple of weeks, I've spent my spare time reading, one book after another from Library to Go...An online library where I have books on hold, (waiting for them to come available, sometimes the wait is several months,) others can be read immediately and some are on a wish list, and others are on a list that I recommend that the library purchase...I also have a stack of "real books," that I can choose from and one waiting for me on loan from the library.

Looking back at my childhood, books were far and few between at our house and even at the one room school house that I attended for 5 years...I remember having a small collection of "Golden Books," that were a treasure trove to me...The only reading material in our house, when I was growing up was "The Farm Journal" magazine and for a few years a gift subscription of "The Readers Digest." My parents didn't have time to read, nor the money to buy books and the public library in MeCall, Idaho only checked books out to city residents, which we were not.

At school our teacher could go to the City Library and check out an assortment of books for our reading pleasure...I lost myself in books with titles like, Nancy Drew, Little Women and The Hardy Boys...About junior high age, television made its debut and Saturday mornings brought The Little Rascals, Looney Tunes and Road Runner...Afternoons were filled with soap operas and westerns, evenings with I Love Lucy, Gun Smoke, Ed Sullivan, Dragnet, Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best...Books took a back seat...Our high school library was available for required reading and the occasional book report.

Our kids grew up with Golden Books that they received for Birthdays and Christmas, then later we made biweekly trips to the book mobile and of course TV gave them Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Disney, Captain Kangaroo, Bewitched, Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, The Adams Family and Perry Mason, plus many, many more!

Cienna grew up with her own library, gleaned from yardsales...Books purchased for mere pennies of their true price, by a doting Oma and Mama...Television was limited to OPB, but video's were plentiful.

I think the foggy days were getting to me and reading was my escape...It gave me sunny days, if only in my imagination...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment