Thursday, September 29, 2016

Counting my blessings...45º

Tuesday late afternoon, I prepared for one of those dreaded moments in life, a procedure...After ingesting only liquids all day,  I dutifully swallowed 2 tiny pills, drank a bottle of magic potion, chased it with 2 glasses of water and stayed near the bathroom knowing without a doubt that soon my colon would begin to cleanse...8:30pm rolled around and I felt confident that I could catch a few winks before the next stomach cramp signaled another bathroom call...I slept soundly until midnight, spent the rest of the night dozing so I would hear my wakeup call at 4am...The second bottle of potion waited patiently on the kitchen counter...I poured it over ice, started drinking while my 2 glasses of water heated in the microwave (my chaser for the morning)...From 4am to 6am I pretended the hot water was coffee, worked my scrabble games, read a novel, again staying close to the bathroom...About 6am I felt it was safe to take a hot shower, dress in comfortable clothes and let Herb drive me to the hospital in Enterprise.

All this time, in the back of my mind an old memory was playing of 10 years ago and my first colonoscopy...Everyone told me, the worst part is the prep and the procedure is a piece of cake, you go to sleep, wake up never knowing what happened...In order to have a colonoscopy you must have a blood vein willing to cooperate, and the only one in the mood that day, 10 years ago, was my jugular vein...The rest of the day didn't go much better...You see my colon is a bit "kinky," and didn't cooperate...Enough detail, other than it turned into a 12 hour ordeal instead of a 3 hour piece of cake!
,
Wednesday morning, at the hospital I donned the backless gown, the nurse's covered me with a warm blanket and said now you can relax, and we will get your IV started...It went off without a hitch, I breathed a sigh of relief and a half hour later I was in dreamland...My "kinky" colon still didn't want to cooperate, but my doctor was persistent and with instructions for me to breath deep, they upped the dosage of anesthetic, and with a few tries the colon relented and the procedure was completed...Herb talked to the doctor, who said everything went well, except for one extra sharp bend, coming out of the appendix and that I would be ready to go home as soon as some of the anesthetic wore off.

Back home Herb fixed us a light breakfast of milk toast for me, not sure what he had as I was dozing in my chair for the next 4 hours...Dinner he fixed us sausage, toast, tomato and cucumber slices...The day went by in a haze and by 8:30 we were in bed.

Up early this morning, watched our usual beautiful sunrise, thankful for another day and that maybe in 10 years from now I will be too old to have another colonoscopy...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment