Saturday, September 24, 2016

Fall Ritual....45º

The forecast is promising sun and rising temperatures for the next four days...Perfect weather for more cleanup...The last couple of days I harvested the last of the green cabbage heads, grated them, added salt, tossed and stirred until it turned soft and juicy...Then I carefully tamped it into sterilized jars, put on lids and set them aside to work the magic of sauerkraut...We still have 3 small heads of purple cabbage keeping a space in the garden, harvest time for them can be later...Yesterday I pulled vines and gleaned patty pan squash and cucumbers...We enjoyed them with our dinner and have cukes left that we will eat in the coming days...Maybe even make another jar of dill pickles...I keep talking about and promising myself that the beets are next on my list, but somehow they keep getting bumped down another notch...Could today be the day?

Our dinners have changed in the days since I enrolled in the chip program, they are more like a hearty lunch with a small amount of meat and extra veggies...We use a medium sized plate and come away from the table comfortably full, not stuffed and uncomfortable like we did after a huge meal...Portion control is so important and I have to work at keeping them small, when what I really want to do is crowd or stack the food on my plate...This works well now with fresh produce so readily available, not sure how we will fare this winter...At least we are both moving closer to winter carrying a few less pounds then before...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Sauerkraut ready to work.

Grilled Tuna Sandwiches with fresh
veggies and slaw on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment