Thursday, September 1, 2016

Fruity Days...45º

Plums, Apricots, Tomatoes...Oh My!..Where do I start?...Temperature is cooling, busy day ahead, I think meat roasting in the oven sounds good...Turkey wings seasoned, in my newest cast iron pan, covered with a tight lid, oven set on 250º...The ripe plums are next, rinsed then sliced off the pit, about 2 quarts total, add some sugar and onto the stove to simmer...I fix smoothies for our breakfast before starting a batch of bread...Bread flour, whole grains (whole wheat flour, cornmeal, oatmeal, flaxseed, rye flour, cooked quinoa,) all dumped into a large bowl...Make a well, add water, oil, salt, molasses and yeast, mix in some of the grains and leave to rise/raise?..Remember to stir the plums, take a break to catch up on scrabble games and Facebook.

While I've been doing this Herb has been outside cutting down all the garden perennials that have gone to seed, both in the yard and across the road...While across the road he has also gathered the fallen apricots and brought them to the kitchen, along with pint jars for jam, making sure I have everything I need from the cellar...Back in the kitchen again, I mix and knead the bread, give it a final pat, cover and leave to raise...The plums are getting thicker and need more stirring, jars are in the 250º oven getting hot...I'm making what I call old fashion jam, no pectin needed...Just simmer fruit, add sugar to taste and cook until thick, ladle into jars and seal...Fresh bread and jam for supper tonight.

At about noon, the smell of roasting turkey reminds me to go to the garden, gather a few new carrots and potatoes, rinse and scrub, place alongside the turkey wings...Two hours from now dinner will be ready, my first real meat meal in several days, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes will be added to the plate...The plum jam fills two pints plus and since the kettle is sticky with jam, why not pit the newly fallen apricots, cut into pieces, add some sugar and make a batch of apricot jam.

About 4pm we have eaten our dinner, I savored every bite, cleaned up the kitchen, have jam and bread cooling on the counter...Time to take a break and enjoy the view...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

I remembered to take a couple of photos, 5 loaves of bread and 3 pints of Jam.





No comments:

Post a Comment