Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Summer So Far...61º

It seems that this summer has been one glorious day after another...Mostly sunshine and blue skies, with some smoke thrown in...Good and bad altogether, Herb and I are able to keep things green and growing as we head into the cooler days of late summer in Wallowa County and count our blessings everyday.

So where am I headed with this?..I try to keep things light and optimistic on these pages but the past couple of days have dampened my spirits...Sunday evening I was in the garden checking on the prolific zucchini and moving the water one last time...I evidently made a misstep, tried to catch myself, and found myself lying on the ground, a painful knee and a bleeding hand...It took me several minutes to catch my breath, access the situation before I was able to get up and walk to the house...Taking just one look at my hand (between my thumb and pointer finger) I knew that stitches were in my future...In the kitchen I ran cool water over the "gash" and called to Herb, "Come in the kitchen, I need your help."..He had no idea anything was wrong...After a quick look at my hand, it took no time at all to get me in the car and off to the emergency room...I came home sporting two blue stitches in my hand and the good news that I hadn't severed a tendon or done any major damage...My knee was bruised but the kneecap was in place, no major damage there either.

A little background here for people that might not know about my lack of balance...Basically I am "Unbalanced." 😀  Some 20 years ago a viral infection wiped out the balance function in my inner ears, so now when I trip, stumble, twist an ankle, miss a step, I go into free fall...One minute I'm upright, the next second, flat on the ground.

I spent time on the deck Monday watching the eclipse and babying my hand while Herb tended to the yard and gardens...Tuesday morning found me in the dentist chair having my teeth cleaned, all looked good until the annual xrays showed cavities under or near my "crowns," calling for major work...DAMN, I didn't need that...The dentist was totally blown away when comparing last year xrays to this years and the drastic change with no apparent reason...Who knows what caused this.

I've had time to think about all this and know that it is just a bump in the road, I will survive, we are both in decent shape for our ages, so far we have avoided the dreaded Cancer word and other things much worse than a bruised knee, stitches and cavities...Carry on we must!

Our kids will be home for a visit in 10 days, so that will be a boost to our spirits and reconfirm just how blessed we really are...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

This mornings sunrise through a smoky haze.


Hand is healing quite nicely...Photo is a bit blurry




4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness sorry for your break dance skills deary. Thankful no damage to knees. Or hand any worse than the stitches. Whew. Soon we will be in the water and free from tumbles. So looking forward to that.
    Why is it summer moves through the season so dang fast? Take care heal up. And I hope to see you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not wishing for winter but I will be so happy to be back in the water again!..Thanks for your concern.

      Delete