Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Leading up to the Move...25º

Yesterday I mentioned that George and Marlene were planning a fall wedding...Things hadn't started off well when George introduced his new girlfriend...You see, George already had a longtime girl friend named Helen, and Mom assumed that she would become his bride...Now I realize the turmoil that our household was in but as an 8 year old I was oblivious...I took to Marlene immediately and she to me...I was invited to spend a couple of days at her home and attend a day at school with her...Her home was a hotel (that her mother, Myrtle, owned and managed)...I was in awe...Of course, as a cute little girl, I was a hit at Coalville highschool and all of Marlene's classmates...What I remember most about that visit was the breakfast Marlene fixed before I went back home...I wrote this story several years ago...I wish I had photos, but alas there are none...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS I will post a photo of present day pancakes.

Pancakes Topped with Pineapple Sherbet

When I was 7 years old, my brother George started dating Marlene Madden. Marlene's Mother, Myrtle owned a hotel and I spent a day or two visiting there. I was in awe of the hotel (never having been in one) with its staircase to the bedrooms upstairs reserved for guests. I was more in awe of my breakfast...Marlene made plate size pancakes which she served to me, and a choice of pineapple sherbet or syrup on top. I opted for the sherbet not really knowing what it was but soon consumed two pancakes topped with sherbet for the first and last time in my life. Back home when I requested pancakes with sherbet on top, Mom looked at me with her special, "Are you crazy look?" I didn't ask again. I've thought many times about having pancakes with pineapple sherbet, but know that they would never taste as good as they did that day long ago when a wide eyed girl of 7 ate one of the best breakfasts of her life. Thank you Marlene.

Idella at 5 years old

I love any kind of pancakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment