Thursday, March 12, 2020

Relatives Abound...34º

Both of my parents came from large families...On the Ashton side George and Idella (Eastman) Ashton, had seven children...Grace, Ermal, Elmer (Joe), Atha, Lorene, Josh and Ruby...Gramdma Ashton (Idella), died when Joe was a teenager and Grandpa married Belle...Joe left home soon afterwards...Grandpa Ashton was still alive when we lived in Utah...He lived with his second wife Belle, just a few blocks from us in Porterville. (all reports were, that she was the typical "step mother.")...She died leaving Grandpa a widower.

I don't remember her but I do remember Grandpa vaguely...I mostly remember going to his funeral, when I was 5 years old...I didn't really want to look at him but Mom held me up to the casket and I just remember his face being very white...Up until this time, I didn't know what a funeral was...When Mom and Daddy came home from a funeral, Mom alwasy talked about what they had to eat and who brought what, so in my mind a funeral was a place to eat...And we did go to my Aunt Lorene's after the funeral service, where there was a whole table full of food and lots of relatives...Mom helped me fill my plate and some little round green things with red on them, caught my eye...I just had to have one, my first green olive...One bite of the olive and I spit it out, pulled a face and acted like I might die on the spot!...I was scolded for my bad manners and ate the rest of the food in silence.

In Porterville, we saw relatives on a regular basis, most of them lived in the city and ours was a peaceful setting for them to relax on the weekends..They loved my mothers cooking and went home with eggs and cream from our farm animals and fresh vegetables from the garden...I got to play with my many cousins, but I think Mom and Dad were a little overwhelmed with the added stress and work of company...They didn't get a weekend to rest...This may have been one of the reasons that they dreamed of a new home, way far away...Hugs To All...OWAV:)


Grandpa Ashton (George)
Grandma Ashton (Idella)

Grandma Ashton's parents and siblings
(sorry I don't have names)
Elmer (Joe) Ashton and
sister Lorene Ashton


No comments:

Post a Comment