Monday, March 9, 2020

The Last Years in Porterville...32º

My earliest memories of Porterville go back to about 1947...Two girls, Peggy and Penny lived next door and we played together daily...We didn't play with dolls, we made stick horses and bows and arrows, from willows and rode miles, shooting Indians...We traded off, one day being an Indian, the next a white man. We got good at falling, dramatically, to the ground when shot...Peggy was a year older and filled Penny and I in on what to expect when we started school...I was looking forward to starting 1st grade, I watched with longing as George and Mona caught the bus every morning, until Peggy told me that in first grade, I would have to take an afternoon nap!..No Way!..I was done with naps, they were a waste of time, they were for babies...I just wouldn't go to school.

My mother had other ideas about my education...I was the last of 6 children and life had been hard for her...Starting over on a farm was hard work, 6 babies in 12 years, the loss of a child and a husband with an injured back and a hysterectomy after my birth, her health suffered...She was ready to be free of children, then she would have time to spend in the garden, that she loved...My birthday was in late October and by todays standards, I would have to wait another year, but come September 1948, five years old, I boarded the bus with George and Mona, I carried a rolled up rug to take a nap on...I had relented, but secretly told myself, they could make me lie down, but I wouldn't go to sleep!

By the time I started 3rd grade, Mona was in 8th grade and George had graduated from high school, had a new girl friend, Marlene Madden, and they were planning a fall wedding...Loraine had married Steve Smith and had her first baby, George...Barbara had married Worthy Reed, had baby Alan, divorced and married Jim Stephens...I don't remember hearing anything about moving, until mom gave Mona and I each a small booklet that was titled, "Autographs."..."Take this to school and get your friends to write in it, saying goodbye to you."...Hugs To All...OWAV:)


Blanche (Mom), A happy day!
George, Mona, Idella


Penny, Peggy, Idella
(Mom always tried to make me into a girl,
 instead of a tomboy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment