Friday, October 2, 2020

Multi Tasking...45º

 I could have worked outside, but for some reason, the sourdough starter on the counter called my name...I've had a sourdough starter for many years, have taken a class, joined a group on FB and talked to seasoned, sourdough bakers...To my satisfaction i have mastered, making a good batch of bread for everyday use, sandwiches and toast, it has good "oven spring", moist and tasty...The SD group I joined is way over my head, they weigh everything (which can be good) but it is in "grams."..They talk about ears, hydration, levaine, discard...They carve and decorate loaves...I'm more interested in getting the feel of the dough and trying different/simple things.

I pulled up the King Arthur web page and went to sourdough cinnamon rolls/buns...It sounded fairly simple, an all day process, where I could multi task my others projects...Unusual for me but I followed the recipe to the letter, only deviating when I doubled the batch...The dough went together easily, then rested for 4 hours with hourly "stretch and fold."..Herb had mentioned that the applesauce I made last week was very good, as he ate the last spoonful...He brought in more apples, I washed, cut, cored and put a pan full on to cook.

While doing my first "stretch and fold,"on the bread dough, the sweet pickles in gallon jars, caught my eye...They had been in brine for six weeks and it was time for them to have sugar added to the brine, slice the cukes, heat everything, get them in the jars and processed...With the dough resting, apples simmering, I decided it would be a good day to finish the sweet pickles.

This all started at 7am, we had bacon, eggs, fruit and toast for breakfast...(that was a good thing.)..I put jars on to sterilize for the pickles and started slicing cukes and had the sugar brine on to heat...At 2:30 the sourdough was ready to make into cinnamon rolls, I had mixed the filling; sugar, molasses (to make brown sugar) together, added cinnamon and the recipe said to also add, flour and melted butter...I rolled out half the dough, pressed on the filling and cut the first pan...My buzzer said the first batch of pickles were ready to come out of the processor...OH MY GOSH.

By 7:30 last night 2 dozen cinnamon rolls were iced and cooling, (I will take my light roll dough, cinnamon rolls, over these any day)...2 quarts of applesauce in the fridge for our eating enjoyment and 16 pints of sweet pickles ready for the cellar shelves...As my friend Pat says,"I was one pooped puppy."...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

PS...Somewhere in there we had hotdogs for dinner. :)

Ready for the oven

Ready to eat.

Pickles all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment