Thursday, January 12, 2012

BBBrrrrrrr...10º---Clear

Can't think of anything to write so here is another paragraph from my essay.

I remember that first day of Beauty School being so excited that I was about to pee my pants and  terrified that I might. I began a dressing ritual that soon became rote to me. Nylon stockings had to be handled carefully, each stocking rolled down to the toe then feet wiggled in one at a time. Pulling them up and hooking then on the garter belt without snagging was difficult. Quickly I slipped the petty coat and uniform over my head and slid my feet into the “clodhopper” shoes. Hair combed, a touch of lipstick, I was ready. Sylvia walked with me that first day, making sure I made all the right turns. I arrived early to find the doors still locked and did a double take as I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the glass. I almost walked through the window thinking it was another person standing there until I realized it was “farm girl” transformed into beauty school student.  Suddenly another girl dressed just like me appeared from around the corner. We briefly made eye contact, said, “Hello” and quickly figured out that today was a first for both of us.  Her name was Shari Shelby and “we” soon to be known as “Ashton and Shelby” became best friends. 

1 comment: