Sunday, January 8, 2012

Diamonds in the snow...30º

Yesterday's morning was out of a dream...1 inch of new snow, cold, crisp with sun reflecting so bright off the snow that sunglasses didn't cut it...I headed for the track, studs on my shoes, visor on my head, gloves and earmuffs in reserve...Many people use the Joseph Schools track but when I arrived no "tracks" were in sight, not even dog tracks...It was reminiscent of a dream as I quickly became surrounded by millions of diamonds dancing and sparkling like fairies in the snow...I wanted to reach out and catch just one, surely of all the millions I could have just one...But in my heart I knew the diamond would be gone in a second if I touched it and I would wake from the dream clutching my fingers tightly only to find as my hand opened it would be empty...So I enjoyed this surreal world as I made my way, 4 times around, logging a mile before returning home.

Herb and I went social in the afternoon as we along with about 100 people gathered at the Joseph Civic Center to celebrate David and Darlene Turner 50th wedding anniversary...The Turners are a mainstay in the community, so for forty years we have known who they were but never "moved" in the same circles...I've gotten to know Darlene in the last 10 years and we work well together on our mutual sorority committees, have a casual, fun friendship...Where Herb and I decided to celebrate our 50 anniversary in a quiet manner I ask Darlene why she wanted an event?..Her answer was "We've lived here all our lives and when we married right out of high school, bets were being made as to how long this relationship would last...I just want everyone to know that it did!"...It was a fun afternoon visiting with people we haven't seen in years and we found ourselves peering under the wrinkles, gray hair, bald heads for that person we first met 40 years ago...Herb particularly noticed how many of the men were wearing hearing aids!...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment