Saturday, March 3, 2012

More Bread...32º

You are going to get sooooo tired of hearing about my sourdough bread...To bad, I'm having so much fun...Started my second batch yesterday, working with the same amount of flour, starter, salt and water...I can't believe how fast it comes together and the kneading process of about 20 minutes goes quickly as you feel the change in the dough, until it is like a giant sponge, stretchy and elastic...I didn't try it but I think it would bounce if I dropped it on the floor.

I tried letting it rest for 1/2 hour then gave it a few quick "kneads" then rest and knead-- about 4 times...It got softer each time I did this...Then it shaped into 1# loaves easily...I put one loaf in its own pan and two loaves in a large loaf pan...(I like glass)...For the rising process I like a moist heat...So I boil water in the microwave, leave water and container in and place the "panned" bread next to boiled water and close the microwave, this creates a warm moist atmosphere and the bread rises nicely...Pictured below bread has risen, I covered it with sour cream (thinned) and cut slashes with a very sharp knife.


       
            Sour cream helps it to brown
Easily separates into two loaves

I baked these for 30 minutes on 350º...The loaves continued to rise in the oven and remember they have no added yeast just the sourdough started...The outside is crusty, with inside moist and dense...Add some butter, oh so good!!..Next time I will up the oven temperature to 375º for a thicker crust...Wish you were here, I would love to share....Hugs to all....  OWAV:)




1 comment: