Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sunny...28º

Warmer spring days for the end of April and into May, reaching 59º today and up to 71º by Friday, before showers move in and it starts to cool...Sun and showers, that's what makes things grow!..Speaking of getting things to grow, Herb and I will go to our friend Debbies this morning for our annual load of Llama manure.

Yesterday I talked about our families love of pies...Herb's father was a lover of pies and raised in New York State he was fond of a saying "Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze." He took that saying a bit farther as he loved any kind of pie with cheese...He was also know for his saying, "I only like two kinds of pie and with a twinkle in his eye he added, warm pie and cold pie." He even ate pie with ice cream or whipped cream...He was partial to fruit pies...I turned up my nose at the idea of eating cheese with pie as I had been raised mostly on cream pies (my fathers preference.) Pumpkin, banana and coconut cream pies, piled high with fresh whipped cream...It took several years before the sharp cheddar cheese tasted good with pie to me, but with Dad's encouragement and obvious enjoyment I was soon an avid fan.

I'm not sure if either of our fathers had rhubarb pie growing up...It seems like rhubarb sauce was more common and used as a spring tonic, as it was the first vegetable/fruit available in the spring...Rhubarb sauce was very sweet and eaten as a breakfast fruit or a dinner dessert...I found the recipe for Rhubarb Cream Pie in the "Better Homes and Gardens" cook book that I received at my bridal shower and it soon became a favorite, one we look forward to every spring...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment