Sunday, February 5, 2017

A Good Day...37º

Yesterday was bread baking day at our house...It has been awhile since the last one...What with making SD biscuits several times, having waffles or pancakes for dinner and also having several loaves of bread in the freezer that were not one of my best efforts...Herb has slowly been eating his butter and toast, a slice at a time of the "not so good bread."...Some of it is getting passed on to the little birds and quail that have stuck around for this crazy winter, after all they have to eat too!

I like to get an early start when making my big batch of bread and for this I use the Bosch mixer...Dumping 4 cups of water, 4+ cups of active sourdough starter, adding several scoops of bread flour, several scoops of whole wheat flour and the last of the flax meal in the bag...(Ooops that was a lot of flax meal, oh well too late now) Add Tbl+ of salt, a glug or two of molasses and yes I cheat a bit as I sprinkle in 1 Tbl. of instant yeast...(This will be 10 pound batch of dough and I'm afraid to rely on sourdough alone to make it rise, hence the yeast.) I pulse the mixer several times to mix the ingredients, without blowing flour all over the baking center and then let it mix for about 10 minutes, adding more bread flour until I have a very stiff dough...Now I pull the dough out of the mixer onto a floured surface where I knead it by hand, making sure the dough feels just right...After greasing the big tupperware bowl with bacon grease, I plop the dough in, turn it over, so every surface is well greased, seal the lid down and leave it to raise...An hour later I punch the dough down, it is springy and elastic and will raise one more time before I make it into loaves...I made traditional loaves, a round loaf and a long french loaf...The house smelled heavenly, the bread tastes sublime...(Must have been that extra flax meal!)...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Loaves in the oven, almost done.

I've found that making a double loaf
in a bread pan works, as a half loaf
is just right for Herb and doesn't
get stale.

Long loaves come in handy.

Round loaves look like real sourdough!

No comments:

Post a Comment