Sunday, September 16, 2018

Multiple Choices...37º

Many days I struggle to come up with a topic for my almost daily blog...This morning several are running through my mind, such as: animals/wildlife, winters wood, annual harvest, more about fall cleanup...I could probably tie all of these together but then what would I write about tomorrow...Sometimes I start writing about one thing and find it changes, midstream, to something out of left field...I have a hard time staying focused.

Yesterday morning started out good, sunny, partly cloudy, cool...Perfect for working outside in mid September...Herb was out early, cutting down spent perennials...I decided to pick apples...Our Gravenstein apple tree is old, it was here when we moved into this house 45 years ago...I remember it blooming that first year, (for the first time, so our neighbors said,) I don't remember if we picked any apples...We knew nothing about taking care of an apple tree...Some people said top it, some said, never top it...We ended up topping it and began the yearly pruning to keep it that way...It has rewarded us with many bushels of apples, we use some and give many away...For many years Enterprise high school Home-ec department was a recipient and students were taught to make apple pies and how to can/jar applesauce...Now this is where I could go off on a rant about the home-ec program, being cut from the school curriculum, but not today.

Since we have done such a good job of keeping this tree pruned, I can pick many of the apples from the ground or from the second step of our very stable ladder...I enjoy this process, as I methodically pick and sort apples into 4 boxes...Due to proper thinning this spring/summer, the apples are large and beautiful and we have enough to share with friends...Looking back at this blog, I see it is getting to the length where people are becoming bored with my rambling and I must get to the point or lose then completely...Herb helped me finish picking, with his added height he got the few apples up top.

I carefully arranged the boxes, called friends, to come get them, sat on the deck, surveyed our domain  and felt very smug about this accomplishment...Finally I went back inside to the dreaded housework and maybe 2 hours later looked out to see apples dumped out of the boxes, scattered everywhere, with bites taken out of many...Not a pretty sight, I swore, I yelled, I threw half eaten apples and threatened to shoot every deer that dared even get close to our property...Another rant in the making.

I was so angry I couldn't even cry, finally I calmed down, cleaned up the mess, with Herbs help and we salvaged all the "whole" apples and moved them into the garage where I should have put them in the first place...Lesson learned, maybe I shouldn't feel so smug about a job well done or realize that it gives me more subjects to write about!

The sun is out this morning, life is good, we are very blessed and have 2 cords of wood scheduled to arrive this afternoon...That is another story...I must remember to get photos....Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Before Deer.

So Lovely.


2 comments:

  1. You need a dog! Ginger would never have let those deer near your apples! I didn't think they were ripe enough to pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nice day and the seeds were getting brown...I was tired of waiting...I've thought of a dog of course but just can't quite get there...Love to you.

    ReplyDelete