Saturday, September 1, 2018

Pickling Season...48º

I think I mentioned awhile back that for the first time in 30 years, there are no dill pickles on our cellar shelves...Early in August I put in an order for 40 pounds of small cucumbers from Edwards' Farm in Milton Freewater...I got the call on Wednesday, that I could have Friday mornings picking, I immediately said, "We will be there."...My mind (what is left of it) went into overdrive...I had a bajillion things to do because "our girls were coming." Cleaning, cooking, yard work and now cucumbers that were 230 miles away, round trip...As I sorted things through my mind, the light dawned, the girls could make a 50 mile detour and pick up the cucumbers on their way to Joseph.

40 pounds waiting.

Perfect size.

 That left me time to make oblong rolls for BLT's for dinner when they arrived, I washed jars, mopped floors, cleaned the bathroom and made an apple/walnut pie (not very good, won't try that recipe again)...They arrived about 6pm with cucumbers and Bobi succumbed to a small box of peaches, that look delicious, we hope they taste good.

Oblong buns.


 Square buns for burgers or sandwiches
on another day.

Lovely Peaches.

It is 7am Saturday morning, girls are still sleeping, my coffee cup is almost empty...I must get a move on, gather some fresh dill and grape leaves from the garden and heads of garlic, make a vinegar/salt brine and we will start packing cucumbers into jars and the tomatoes are still waiting to get roasted...I love this time of year...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment