Thursday, September 20, 2018

Random Thoughts/Photos...34º

I have promised myself that each day, I will spend a couple of hours in the garden doing fall cleanup...So far the raspberry bushes have the old growth cut our and new cut back...Weeds pulled out and fertilizer applied...Today I will cover the row with a mulch of straw...The drip system is running, the last irrigation of this fall.

I could accomplish more each day but sometimes, instead of working, I sit on a bale of straw and work through in my mind where next years crops will go...Some things are obvious, some not so...I'm thinking about planting cucumbers and tomatoes in some of the straw bales...That would save me from bending over to harvest and water, but it might not work with my drip irrigation because it is gravity feed...Something else to ponder...The nighttime temperatures are hovering just above freezing, so nothing is growing, but I'm still hopeful for tomatoes, grapes and more cucumbers to ripen...While pondering, I also can't help picking or pulling a few things, mostly patty pans and carrots, oh yes and a few potatoes to appear on our dinner table...I also cut parsley and basil, trimmed off all the leaves and dried them in the microwave...Now they are in the spice cabinet for winter meals...Time to get dressed and moving today....Hugs To All...OWAV:)

1 potato, weighed over a pound.

The patty pans, so prolific.

Candy onions are a real hit, big and sweet.

Such a nice crop of carrots.

2 comments:

  1. We've been enjoying the "fruits" of you labor, having pot roast with potatoes, carrots and beets, oh my, one day and left overs in tortillas the next. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that we had veggies for you to take home and enjoy...We will harvest potatoes this weekend and plant garlic, dig carrots and cover some with straw for this winter...Hope the gophers don't move in...Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete