Tuesday, February 4, 2020

It was a Monday, Funday, Doughday....20º

When my neighbor Linda, asked if I would teach her to make bread, I said "Sure I will."...Early yesterday morning I mixed a small bread recipe and had it on its second rise, when she came through the door at 9am...She was soon following the recipe and mixing the second batch...When it was ready to knead, I realized that she was more experienced at this than I thought and really wanted to make a more flavorful bread, lighter dough etc.

By the time she was done mixing her batch, mine was ready to shape...thee small loaves, one round, one long and one in a loaf pan...We sat down for a visit before we kneaded the second batch, put it in a gallon zip lock and sent it home for her to shape and bake however she wanted to...We talked about adding whole grains for texture and more nutrition, taking more time and letting the dough rise several times before shaping, this helps with flavor and lightness...Also using molasses or honey for sweetener...She called last night to thank me and we will soon make plans to start feeding my sourdough starter and our next project, making sourdough bread.

Ready for the oven.

Baked and ready to eat.

Ready for the freezer.
Garlic bread or submarine sandwich?

It was a fun morning and we both ended up with loaves of bread to eat, share and freeze, plus I got to visit with my neighbor of 20 years... We have chatted briefly, about gardening and visited at yard sales, but never sat down for a visit...I question my life being busy and what I've missed out on over the years...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great way to spend a cold winter Monday. I can almost smell the bread!

    ReplyDelete