Sunday, February 16, 2020

What was I thinking?...36º

I have never quite understood the thinking behind Valentines Day...It seems to be more tilted to, the guy is supposed to shower his "special valentine" with flowers, chocolates, mushy cards (that Hallmark is so good at) and candle light dinners for two!..Shouldn't this work both ways?

Maybe our first "VD" set the stage as to how that day would play out for us...Herb had completed his last semester of college, we had moved back to Valley County and into my Mom's empty house (she was working up the Big Salmon River for a fishing guide)...Herb's job with the Forest Service didn't start until June...We were flat broke, I was "with child" and wondering where all the "wedded bliss" had gone!..Luckily Herbs' parents had helped us through that last semester of school and my Mom's freezer and cellar was full and Herb got a job in the potato cellars to tide us over until June...I actually have no recollection of that Valentines Day, but I'm sure if there had been flowers, chocolates, mushy cards and candle light dinners (maybe if the power was out) I would remember...Maybe there was a "hug and a kiss."

I soon figured out that on any special occasion, Herb was happy with a pie, any kind of pie...For VD I  usually made a cherry pie...So last week, I searched the freezer for frozen pie cherries, none were to be found, but I found blueberries, he likes, and raspberries that I like...What possesed me to make two pies, one for each of us, I have no idea...The pies turned out very pretty and tasty, but one slice for dinner and a second slice for breakfast was enough pie!

John to the rescue, he gladly took home the pie that was left and they will tell us that it was delicious, ever if it wasn't...I will make sure and buy frozen cherries next time we are in La Grande...One pie for  two people is more than enough!...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS...We live in a beautiful place, our house is warm and cozy, we have way more than enough to eat AND we both got a "Hug and a Kiss," for Valentines Day.

As romantic as we get.

Blueberry and Raspberry.



1 comment:

  1. They were delicious! And, no, we are not just saying that.

    ReplyDelete