Sunday, July 26, 2020

Garden tools...46º

As I finished up staining the front facing boards on our deck, a memory kept floating through my mind...It involves of all things, shovel handles...It takes me back to a time when I arrived at my Moms' house to find her sitting on the back porch, resting after a morning of digging and planting...She was holding her old shovel (handed down from her parents), and was sanding the handle...A can of old stain/paint sat nearby...That day I got a lesson on taking care of gardening tools, because money didn't grow on trees and this old shovel had lasted for many years because it had been taken care of and young people of today didn't appreciate how hard it was to make a living "back then," and instead of taking care of what they had would just throw it away and buy a new one!..I'm sure many of you can hear her saying this. 😃

Yesterday when I finished for the day, a small amount of deck stain remained in the can and guilty thoughts came flooding into my mind...How long has it been since I took care of the garden tools?

So from the many shovels/tools that I have, I selected 5 of them, that I use the most...The shovel, that was my Moms, a second shovel that Herb bought me 30 years ago, a hoe, (handed down from Mom), a 4 tined digger, and a fork to spread chips...For about an hour, I rested, while I sanded the handles until smooth, then "painted" them with the leftover deck stain...It was a good feeling...Hugs to All...OWAV:)


Sanded handles

Mom's shovel handle.



little shovel, hoe, digger, pitchfork.
and Moms shovel...Left to right.

No comments:

Post a Comment