Sunday, March 24, 2024

A scenic day...34º Winter returns.

 Possible snow, a reality this morning...It is only a smattering and will melt in no time and after all it is spring break and it can be crappy weather in March!

Rusty and I went on an adventure yesterday...It all started because I wanted to go to a memorial service in Wallowa and since it was rainy, Rusty decided/begged to come along...His first mistake was putting me in the navigation seat...He should have asked Bobi, Pam, or Sue if that was a good idea...I'm notorious in this family for my sense of direction, or lack thereof, reading a map, googling maps on my iPhone and relating to the driver which way we are going or should be going...If only Herb was still here, he would have told him that it wouldn't work, he had many experiences with me holding the map upside down and possibly it was a map of Idaho and we were in Arizona! OH MY

Carol is a new friend of mine from water therapy, she was a newbie, I was an old timer...But from the moment we heard each other say, "my husband has dementia," we were each others rock...At first "the guys" came with us, Herb was in the water, Greg sat alongside the pool reading a book, then things changed, they would rather stay home, where they felt safe and it worked for awhile...Carol and I would talk, trading stories of what it was like at home and then we would float around the pool, letting our minds go free, not a care in the world, until we dressed, drove back home to the real world...

Our days at the pool ended but we kept in touch, texting...Herb was needing more care at home, we no longer left him alone, Rusty moved home...Carol text me that she was moving them to the valley, more care centers, more family nearby...I text her when Herb passed away and she let me know that Gregs memorial would be in March.

I didn't know Greg but wanted to go, to connect with Carol...We arrived at the memorial at their beautiful home atop a hill, a home that they had built together...We were only an hour late, a huge crowd filled the house and patio, we got in line, filled our plates and sat down at a table...I picked Carols face out of the crowd and as soon as possible made my way to exchange hugs, share a few words and promise to keep in touch...All was good.

Rusty and I saw new country, laughed a lot, scratched our heads at the roads we were on, backtracked twice, never said a cross word to each other, but I think he knows not to put me in the seat to navigate ever again...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Bread ready for the oven
was perfect to take to 
the potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment