Sunday, February 6, 2011

OWAV:) 01/06/11 4am, 32° snow n rain

Nasty looking outside this morning.  Good day to stay home and inside, but not to happen.  Our sorority is hosting a bunco party this afternoon.  Looks like we might have four tables and guess it is a good thing to do on this "particularly nasty day".  This will be the third annual bunco party and I seem to have the job of organizing it each year.  I often wonder why that is?  Because I'm good at it or because I'm bossy and other people let me take over, rather than challenge me.  I think it is because "they" are happy to sit back and let me do it while they enjoy a fun time.  I keep saying someday I'm going to get "smart".  It's probably not going to happen.  I know it will be fun, all having a good time, and next year I will do it all over again.

My sister Mona called last night.  She and her family went to Morgan for Steve's funeral.  Mona said it was a very nice service, over two hundred people in attendance, a large part of them family.  Steve was buried with a full military service.  Then back at the church, dinner was served.  She said, she thought there must have been about 100 kids under the age of five all wanting to be fed.  Had never seen so many little ones all in one place before.  She also said that last count Steve and Loraine have, one hundred six, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  Whew!!  Wish I could have been there.


It is super bowl sunday today, used to be an afternoon spent in front of the television for us.  Herb was a great fan and our kids and I grew up with it.  None of us liking it very much.  I haven't watched television on a regular basis for over twenty years.  Herb watches very little of it anymore.  I think back forty years ago to the time when we watched it as a family on Sunday nights.  Every Sunday, late afternoon, kids bathed, jammies on, we would make popcorn and watch "Marlin Perkins, Wild Kingdom" and "The Wonderful World of Disney".  Oh for the good ole days of, I Love Lucy, Mr Ed, Petticoat Junction, Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffin Show and Father Knows Best, Bewitched,just to name a few.  When did the moral decline begin? "Three's Company"? I liked that show but looking back can remember the innuendo's and the gradual shifting of what was proper or not for a family show.  In other shows it became common to use put downs and show disrespect for parents and peers alike.  Bigotry and sexist remarks reared its ugly head on television, giving children the idea that is was the way to talk and act in real life.  Somewhere we lost the fine line between what had been done in the way of comedy, was now okay to use as a way to degrade and make fun of people.  More later, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment