Wednesday, February 9, 2011

OWAV:) 02/09/11, 4am, 27° Dark

Scrabble games caught up, wind not blowing, nothing on the calendar, what to write?  How about yesterday and another BS chapter.

Write group, with a new lady joining us, Max is her name.  Kathy Putnum has known her for years and said she reminds her of a cat.  Strange then, that her writing was about how she adopted two, almost dead, kittens while living in Mexico.  She is a lovely writer and I look forward to hearing more.  After we "potlucked" out lunches, several of us attended a funeral for a mutual friend's husband.  A lovely service conducted by the deceased's grandson, an ordained minister.

Late in the afternoon, I arrived home to the smells of dinner cooking.  Herb indulged me with a glass of wine as I plopped on the sofa, exhausted from doing nothing.  Daughter,  Bobi joined us via a video chat and a brief wave and hi from Cienna, home from school, waiting for the computer, to start her homework.  Aaaah, the smell, our dinner is ready.

❈BS Then we were three.  Late fall of 1960 my cousin Lynn Dickson, joined Sylvia and I in our one bedroom apartment.  She would be attending beauty school with me.  Now Sylvia would have the bedroom, and Lynn and I the Murphy bed in the living room.  The rent would be split three ways, as were the groceries and the tiny closet.  I was now able to save some money for Christmas gifts.  Also when working on actual patrons, we were allowed to accept tips.  We saved our tips like they were gold nuggets, in reality, they were mostly quarters.  Life went quite smoothly with the three of us living together, Lynn was a better cook than either Sylvia or I.  She added variety and special touches to our otherwise boring diet.

We did some fun things together, one of which was a moonlight shopping trip to the "Bon Marche". The three of us felt safety in numbers, as we left our apartment in the middle of the night and walked ten blocks to take advantage of the sale, that started at midnight.  I don't remember what any of us bought but it was our first experience of elbowing our way into position at the sale table.  Later, clutching full shopping bags, sure that we were in possession of the bargain of the year, we hurried back to the safety of our apartment.❈

I see through the window that Ruby Peak has that ruby glow it it time for me to get on with my day.  OWAV:)

2 comments:

  1. You didn't say it was probably the only time in your life you stayed up past midnight. Did you have to take a nap during the day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I slept through church. It must have been a Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete