Tuesday, February 15, 2011

OWAV:) 02-15-11, 4am, 41°, slight breeze

Some rain overnight, occasional breeze this morning.  Woke up at 2:30am couldn't go back to sleep so got up, started the coffee.  With coffee in hand I have read a chapter in "Olive Ketteridge".  This book is beautifully written, I suppose that is why it got a "pulitzer prize"  but it is mostly about the heartache and disappointments of everyday life in a small town.  Not an uplifting book, but does give you a lot to think about and be thankful for.

After yesterday, I have to add another page to my list of wind storms in Wallowa County.  It was breezy when I got up.  With wind continually getting stronger as the morning wore on, by 9am I was having flashbacks of "The Wizard of Oz" and by 10am, thought that anytime soon I would see Dorothy and Toto flying by the living room window, coming all the way from Kansas.  "The Wizard of Oz" has struck terror in my heart, from the time I was five years old and first heard the book.  As soon as Dorothy and Toto lifted off I would be in tears and the exasperated teacher would send me out of the room and later write a note to my mother, explaining that something was wrong with me.  It wasn't until just a few years ago that I read the book, first silently to myself and then to Cienna on one of her visits.  It didn't scare her.

Even though the wind gusts yesterday were very strong, I really wasn't worried, just figured we would ride out another storm.  About 11am, after yet another gust, Herb came down the stairs saying, "We just lost part of our roof, I saw it fly off and land in the driveway."  Thus started a round of phone calls, first to find someone to cover the the damaged roof so we wouldn't have more damage, if it started to pour rain, as it was threatening.  Then to our insurance agent to start the process of filing a claim.  How nice it is to have a local agent, a real person to talk to when something like this happens.  A short time later Adam Stein came to look at the roof, said he would be back as soon as the wind died down and it was safe for his crew to get a temporary cover on it.  So now our roof had a bandaid covering, a bid is forthcoming and then the adjuster will come etc etc.  We are still hoping to leave Thursday morning for Arizona.  Another bump in the sometimes rough road of life.

Rusty had a safe flight to Bend from China, always a relief when he is back on US soil.  We lost internet service yesterday, after the big gust and it won't be restored until sometime today, so not as easy to communicate with our kids.  How soon we get use to these new-fangled methods.

Guess that is all for now, it is 5am.  OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment