Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pot Pies...26º

Down memory lane this morning, I go back in time over 40 years ago...We lived in Utah before moving to Oregon...Herb was always on fire call and during the summer could be gone from home for days or even weeks...A vacation for us left behind...I took time away from cooking and we all got a break from meat and potatoes...In Utah from 1966 to 1973 our favorite was a little "Arctic Circle" just a block from our house, where we could each have a hamburger, fries and a milk shake for $2.00...Mac and cheese from a box with wieners another speciality....In Oregon we often went shopping for Banquet meat pies, each picking our favorite..."Meat" pies was a misnomer as usually the meat consisted of itty bitty chunks of tough gristle swimming in gravy with small pieces of carrot and peas...But fresh out of the oven, burning our tongues on the first bite, the crust was crusty and rich, we were in heaven...We branched out as the kids got older, going to the "Gold Room" in Joseph, for homemade soup and pie, sometimes a baked potato with butter/sour cream/bacon bits (think big) and a cup of soup...The "Snack Shack" in Enterprise had the best burgers or "Russell's" at the lake with outdoor seating and real fries was another choice...Then "Toma's" opened in Enterprise with their burgers so juicy that you needed a bib...Aaah those were the days.

Sorry I got off of the subject just a little...Yesterday's dinner had me scratching my head, what to fix?...A small amount of leftover turkey and gravy was in the fridge and turkey soup sounded good...As I rummaged through the freezer for veggies and broth, I found a frozen round of pie crust dough and the light bulb went off...In all these years I have never made a pot pie from scratch...I could have ignored all the leftovers and sent Herb to the store for pot pies (I hear Swanson's is better than Banquet) but no it would be much more fun to make my own...Three hours later, dishes piled in the sink, flour dusted everywhere (just kidding) I fixed our plates...My version of "Turkey Pot Pies...I was having so much fun that I rescued another round of pie dough and frozen apples and we had apple pie for dessert...I better finish up I think Herb is eating apple pie for breakfast...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Pie in its own little tin

Cooling on the plate

Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment