Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Docent, CPR, AED...49º

A semi relaxing morning spent in the garden, planting peas, beans and cucumbers...I waste a lot of time as I contemplate rotation of crops, what needs more sun and what will grow nicely in a shaded area...Also thinking about my Mom and how she is probably rolling over in her grave, shaking her head, at my style of gardening...Her garden was tilled, set out in rows, using stakes and string to guarantee straight rows...The planting area was weed free and planted in one day then"watered in" as she sat back and invisioned how it would look in a few short weeks...It was hoed and cultivated on a regular basis...On the other hand my garden is covered in straw to keep the weeds down...My rows look like a dogs hind leg and I plant a few things each day, scratching out a row, scattering seeds, tamping them in the soil and hope for a gentle rain...The rain came last night and now I'm wondering if the garden will be too wet for me to plant today...I was thinking squash, beets, carrots and tomatoes...Hmmm maybe mañana.

The rest of my day, not so relaxing...A 3pm docent meeting found me scratching for a small potluck dish to share at the meeting...I wasn't in the mood!..So I sliced cheese and fruit, added some crackers for my contribution...The large upstairs table at the Josephy Center was full, food looked good and everyone dove in like a "threshing crew." Seth started the meeting asking for ideas of what docents should do on any given day, besides just greeting guests...Duties ranged from dusting, scrubbing, vacuuming, dishes and assorted tasks that Cheryl might need help with...Notes were taken, ideas on paper to be organized and implemented...An hour later, we moved on to the subject of CPR and AED, a half hour was slotted for this part of the meeting...Hypothetical question..."What if a visitor has a heart attack while visiting the Josephy Center?"...We were briefed on the latest CPR -- doing chest compression of 100 per minute to keep oxygen in the blood going to the brain...But first you must call 911, get the AED (Automated External Defibrillator) off the wall and have it ready...It comes with voice instructions to lead the novice through the procedure...It takes an ambulance on the average 20 to 25 minutes to arrive on the scene, so one must keep a supply of oxygen going to the brain and/or use the AED to shock the heart into beating again...20 to 25 minutes is an eternity in this situation.

An hour and a half later the class ended and I'm wondering what have I gotten myself into?..I know it would be a rare occasion for this to happen but it could...Frankly I just want to greet the visitor, show them the center and ask them please if you plan to have a heart attack, wait until tomorrow...Hugs To All...OWAV:)






No comments:

Post a Comment