Friday, February 13, 2015

Worst Kitchen Job...23º

How silly of me to clean the kitchen floor, before I decided to clean the oven...The oven is self cleaning and really wasn't too bad until I wrapped a couple of pork ribs in heavy foil and let them cook while the lard was rendering...Unbeknown to me a tiny hole in the foil was letting the juices run onto the floor of the oven and the "juice" soon burned into a lacquer like finish...Hence I decided the oven must be cleaned...Months ago I stashed a miracle cleaning recipe in Evernote, now I was ready to give it a whirl.

Into a spray bottle mix:
2 oz. Dawn Dishwashing liquid
4 oz. Lemon Juice
8 oz. White Vinegar
10 oz. Water
Now make your house sparkle!
*Please test it first before using on delicate surfaces. This is powerful stuff! If your shower has a bad build-up of soap scum and crud it may take a time or two to get that shine.


I sprayed the oven including racks, closed the door and left it to do its magic...Didn't have much faith in it since it was basically lemon juice and vinegar...The vinegar smell was pungent but nothing like the caustic oven cleaners of old...In the meantime Herb (bless his heart) was down on hands and knees (I can get down but not back up) with the vacuum cleaner sucking up all that hidden dirt, as well as petrified morsels of ?????...Low and behold one of my favorite griddles was lurking under the oven drawer...We had looked high and low for this griddle, even accused Rusty of taking it home with him at one point and there is was covered in dust bunnies!

About 6 hours later, I opened the oven and started wiping on one of the racks, the gunk was loose and flaking off onto the rag...Long story short, it is not going to get every bit of stuff off of the oven but enough of it to do the self clean...We took the racks out of the oven, put them all in a large plastic bag and sprayed them again to leave overnight, hoping it will take off another layer...So we have our work cut out for us today, finish the oven cleaning and redo the kitchen floor...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment