Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Fitting in...23º

I continued to look at other houses, just in case we had to move within the city of Joseph...Both Bobbie Jo and Rusty made noises that they didn't want to move to Enterprise and I didn't blame them, it would be a difficult change and Herb was still looking for a transfer out of the area and that would mean another new school...Meantime, with my different jobs, I was meeting more people...Socially we stuck with FS people, Herb joined the Elks and signed on with a bowling league...I continued to say no to PTA, Sororities and "Bridge."..Although I had one well meaning lady tell me that I was "nobody" until I joined a bridge club...I attended one meeting of the "lady Elks" and it had "Clique" written all over it...I declined that one also...Wednesday nights at the Elks was fun as we could take our kids, enjoy "Family Night" eat an inexpensive meal and our kids had their first "Shirley Temple" and "Roy Rogers," while Herb and I had a cocktail.

In about 1976 Herb applied for a transfer in Northern Washington, competition was tough, with minorities, (Veterans, Hispanics, African Americans and Women) given first preference, a white male didn't have much of a chance...At about the same time Herb heard from his former Ranger in Utah, who had since moved to Las Vegas, a job was open there and he encouraged Herb to apply...The hardest part of saying no, was that Herb would have loved to take a job with his old Boss...The easy part was No, we didn't want to live in a big city, didn't want to put our kids in big city schools, I didn't want to move to the desert, we didn't want to move that much farther away from Herbs Dad and who in their right mind wanted to live in Las Vegas?...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment