Saturday, January 9, 2016

Moving Companies...13º

I think the moving company was "Lion Van Lines."...It is close to "Lying Van Lines."...Well not out right lying but definitely telling me what I wanted to hear to get the job, but never intending to do what I was asking for...After our brief glimpse of the house in Joseph and from past experience we knew that a coat of off white paint on all the rooms would do wonders for the house and was much easier to accomplish in an empty house rather than move all our furniture in and then start painting...I figured we could just "camp out" in the house, get the painting done, then unload our furniture...So when I booked the moving van, I said, "Can we load the van on April 9th but not have it delivered to Joseph until April 15th?"..."Of course Mrs. Allen, when ever you want it delivered, we can just park the trailer in storage for a few days."...But when I called to confirm everything the day before the move it was a different story..."Mrs. Allen, you do know that we will have to unload and reload all of your furniture, in a Boise warehouse, if we don't deliver until the 15th?"...It didn't take me long to figure out that no amount of arguing was going to change this and I agreed to delivery on April 11th...So much for a freshly painted house to move into.

We camped out the first night, sleeping on the living room floor in the house on Barton Heights...The next morning we had breakfast at the Rainbow Cafe, enrolled the kids in school, Herb checked in at the Forest Service and the moving van arrived...The driver was not very happy about the narrow, dead end road and that he couldn't back the van up to the front door...He unloaded and I checked off the items as I directed him to the different rooms...Thanks to Dad, all the boxes had been marked with the name of the room to stack them in...That night we had beds to sleep in and an electric fry pan to cook our meals for the next week...Stove and fridge didn't come with the house and we had to order them at the local Montgomery Wards catalog store, located 6 miles away in Enterprise...While in Enterprise we bought groceries and ice, keeping perishables in a Coleman cooler...We were old hands at camping out, so took all this in stride, making an adventure out of it...I took my time unloading boxes and cleaning as I went, thinking about ways to make the house more livable...I honestly don't remember if we painted any of the rooms at that time or just moved in...Hugs To All...OWAV:) PS...The cat waited for a week to have her kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment