Thursday, January 21, 2016

Potato Digger/Sorter...29º

A hugh machine, similar in size to a grain combine...It dug the potatoes, and picked them up, then they went up a conveyer belt and ended up on another conveyer belt that ran across a narrow table, where 5 women (never MEN) stood waiting and ready to throw out any rocks, debris or dirt clods...The "clean" potatoes continued on and filled a dump truck that inched along beside the "digger." Really?...That first morning, Cliff gave us only a brief lesson because Clada was a seasoned hand at this job and she was standing in line with the rest of us...So we stood on a narrow platform, on a moving, jerking machine, with a belt continuously moving in front of us, we were expected to balance ourselves and pick out clods of dirt with both hands and throw them at our feet, as fast as we could...AND no matter how dizzy this made you, DO NOT throw up, as the chain reaction wouldn't be pretty!... I honestly don't remember much about that day, but it didn't take me long to figure out that the new gloves I was wearing, didn't keep my hands warm and they would be worn out before the day was over...Heavier gloves really wouldn't work because then you would never be able to pick up the clods...As the digger picked up the potatoes and dirt, hugh clouds of dirt billowed in our faces and goggles in those days didn't help much...I wondered if I would live to see the first 15 minute break.

Cliff and Clada Kiser had to be the nicest people in the world to work for...They treated all of their workers like family, welcomed us into their house, dirt and all, for a hot noon meal...A crew consisted of 5 sorters, 2 truck drivers and Cliff driving the machine, also someone in the cellar to help unload the potatoes...I knew none of these people but they soon became friends.

At home that night, my family didn't recognize the "racooned" face person that arrived at the back door...I don't remember anyone asking what was for dinner?..(I think I had sense enough to have food ready to warm up.) Most of my clothes were left outside and I made an underwear beline for the bath tub...The following days/weeks were a learning experience as Herb and the Kids, became pros at running the washing machine and dryer, not only doing their own clothes but mine as well...They did the prep work for meals that I planned, (peeling potatoes, making salads etc.) and we still had our dinner together, with Mom going to bed shortly after...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Much like the one I worked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment