Friday, January 8, 2016

Moving On...27º

Bright and early the next morning we left Council for the long trip home and to set the wheels in motion for our 600 mile move...Aunt Beaty (Moms sister) extended her stay to help Dad take care of estate matters, help with household chores but mostly for company to help pass the long and difficult days ahead...In two weeks time Dad would take Aunt Beaty to the airport in Boise, then continue on to Duchesne, where he would help us pack our household goods...That would give him something to do and be of great help to us.

Seven years previous when we moved from New Meadows, Idaho to Duchesne, Utah, we rented a U-haul truck, packed our own household stuff and with the help of friends, loaded the U-haul...Herb drove the truck and I our Volkswagen bus...But for this latest move we called a moving company...We would still pack our possessions but they would load and haul...In the seven years in Utah we had acquired a boat, a utility trailer, a pickup and were now driving a lincoln continental...OH MY.

I had been preparing for a move from the day that we arrived at our house in Duchesne...As I mentioned before, it was on Duchesne's main street, Hwy 40 only 50 feet from our front door...Duchesne was a small Mormon community common to Utah, located 100 miles East of Salt Lake City...It was on the edge of the Ute Indian reservation, high desert, hot in summer, cold in winter and the wind blew daily...Blowing dirt east one day and west the next...The "forest" was no where in sight...I always spoke in terms of when we moved not if and had high hopes that it would be only a 2 year stay...I won't go into our life in Utah, that is for another story, but I will say that Herb was happier in his job there than either New Meadows or Joseph...We did make lifelong friends while there and the good memories out weigh the bad.

It was a whirlwind of activity for the next month...Herb got an extension on his report for work from April 1st to April 15th, I gave notice at my part-time job at the local drug store and we forged ahead...I can't remember all the details involved in packing and moving since it will be 43 years come April that we moved to our house on Barton Heights...I do remember the parties and dinners and gifts that came with the move, the goodbye's were more difficult than I anticipated...Our caravan left after noon that day because we would spend a night on the road making two short easy days, instead of a long grueling one...Along for the ride was Herbs dog, Missy and one very pregnant cat named Snoopy...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great blog. Thank you so so much this gives me a bit of inspiration as my husband and I are also moving into our new home 800 miles form where we live and we are also taking a U-Haul and driving all our stuff there. Hope everything works out for you and your family, thank you again.

    Vanessa Walters @ Stellar Movers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is certainly a family affair, and the whole moving mess sure does pull a family closer together. It's great how organized you are about the whole process since you have moved successfully before. Every time I've ever had to move, I have sworn that I will never move again. I mean it too.

    Martin Moran @ Buyers Agent San Antonio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting on my blog...Comments encourage me to keep writing..
      ~Oma/Idella

      Delete