Monday, October 22, 2018

"Jarring" Marathon...38º

My Mom always called it canning, now jarring (jarring means a physical shock) seems to be the new term...I googled canning and it came from the word canister, not can, as in tin cans of food from the grocery store...Whatever it is called, canning or jarring, it is coming back into vogue.

The pressure cooker I use for canning was bought by my Dad...Mom used it for 60 years before she gave up canning at 85 and said I could take the pressure cooker home...We spent 15 years doing canning marathons at her house in Elgin.

Herb and I started the latest canning session last week...It is a major production assembling all the pots, pans, jars, etc...Grinding burger, soaking beans and washing jars...Friday morning, the first canner simmered away and by Sunday noon, the last canner was done...A total of 90 jars are now on the cellar shelves, mostly chili but also garbanzo beans for hummus, navy and pinto beans with bacon, onion and garlic for bean soup...Also a first for me, are canned carrots from our garden.

Sunday was a special day for me, celebrating my 76th birthday...I received phone calls and cards, from people (friends, sisters, grand daughter and kids) wishing me a happy day...Enjoyed an afternoon at a music concert and wine and food with friends...Feeling blessed and loved...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Chili

Pinto

Garbanzo 

Carrots


2 comments:

  1. Happy late birthday! Your jars all look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Zanie, I love a cellar full of food...Thanks for following my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete